October 06, 2011

angry thoughts on a thursday

i was having a really good day today. really! an extraordinarily good day, the kind where little things come at you, and you just brush them off and go on your way, because what do they matter, really?


and then i got to work.


work is an hour away from my school. i work 2 1/2 hours three days a week. which means that i am driving almost as much as i'm working, because i like my job, and i want to be here, and yes, i take it seriously.


(obviously. i'm blogging.)


but i do, seriously.


and i'm upset at the moment, because it seems like the effort on my part is going pretty much unnoticed.


example numero uno:
i get to work, and after telling me the game plan for the day, my boss tells me that they've hired someone new, and that the new person is getting my office. so i'm moving to a new one. okay, that's fine. except i love my office. LOVE it. it's big and full of sunshine and my plant doesn't die in here because of the big window. and the new office i'm moving into? small. dark. wondow facing the wall - who does that? also the setup is totally wrong, and call me paranoid, but i do not like sitting with my back to the door (this may be a byproduct of living with my brother for 18 years).


example numero dos:
while checking out my new digs with the boss, the guy who requested i move so the new person could have my office happens to stop by. i make a joke in his direction about the crummy set-up of this new room, and his retort is something along the lines of "well, you won't be here all that long anyway."
.... okay.
then as the conversation progresses to the new buildings the company is thinking of acquiring, i ask where they happen to be. the above mentioned person looks in my direction and quips, "what do you care? you're just an intern."
.... okay.


at that point i had to leave. overreaction? maybe. but i've worked really hard to make myself an asset here, and not just an intern, and not just a dumb girl who doesn't understand things. because that seems to be the stigma in an office full of very intelligent men. would it be wise to have a talk with this guy? or just pretend i don't care?

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...