May 06, 2012

simplifying

I have a strange tendency to hang onto things. Material things, especially, in regards to today. I find myself wanting to hold onto pieces of my life even if I know full well that I will never have need for them again. I tried to hang onto a biology textbook this afternoon until I caught myself. I hated Bio, and yet I wanted to keep the book on the off chance that I might need it again. You know, in case that burning desire to read up on cell generation struck again (this is a joke, people). 


Still, it gave me pause. Why do I have the urge to hold onto these things? Why the desire for physical affirmation of the past? It's nonsensical and I know it, but I still have to talk myself through it. I don't need things to validate me, or to remind me of the past ... that's what memories are for. 


I'll be moving home in a little less than a week, and into my own apartment in a few short months. There won't be any room for left-over biology texts that I might need "someday," or any number of similar things. I'll be starting over, getting new memories, new things. A new life, in a lot of ways. 


I'm looking forward to it. A new adventure is exactly what I've been needing lately. 


But first: packing, and simplifying. 

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...