August 12, 2011

*insert Rebecca Black reference here*

Dudes. 

It's 1:30 in the afternoon and I have just realised that it is Friday! Which doesn't say much about my brain today, perhaps, but it means I will be thiiiiiiis much happier for the rest of the day! Also, it means that I'm going to have that soul-sucking failure of a song stuck in my head, but that's okay.

The chart-topping hit "Friday" came out while I was in Scotland. I thought it was a joke when I heard it being played on the radio, until a friend sat down and explained it to me ... and then it became sort of our own inside running joke. The student club we used to go to on weekends (The infamous Big Cheese, known for playing current hits and all cheesy chart toppers in the history of radio) would play it weekly, and it got to the point where we knew every. single. word. We hated it and loved it, simultaneously.

... Writing this is really making me miss Scotland. Of course there are plenty (more than plenty, really) things to keep me occupied here, and I find that the busier I am, the less I think about where I would rather be. But I miss it. I miss it like woah.

I miss waking up in the middle of the night to drunken fights outside my flat window. I miss being able to walk to 2 different H&Ms within 15 minutes. I miss the crazy accents. I miss my Early Modern Scottish History lecturer, who was genuinely crazy, and one of the coolest people I have ever known (he was old and played in a folk band, and thought that fairies and witches were real). I miss radom trips to Glasgow or London for the weekend, or North Berwickshire for the day. I miss the "bubblies" - the pocket storms that would come out of nowhere and disappear within an hour. I miss sitting in the library for aimless hours, reading the most unbelievable things about Celts and Romans and pillaging and the defiling of nuns (inside joke). I miss getting excited about finding American things like barbeque sauce and pringles. I miss 'my spot' on top of Calton Hill, in the middle of the city, where you can see the sea and all of Edinburgh and (apparently) Norway on a very clear day; it's where I was always happiest. I miss all the culture and feeling of belonging to a place. I miss the jagged beauty and the harsh winds and the wonderful people that I was surrounded with.

I do like having the sun, though. That is one thing Scotland will never be able to compete with the United States in.

Tonight I'm off to a local fair to get my redneck on. Monster trucks and carnival games and fried foods, yes please.

xxxx (scottish way of signing off)

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...