August 22, 2011

Weekend Highlights

My papa is the kind of guy who you can't buy anything for, so instead of trying, I got him a giant ice cream cake and went to visit him at lunch on Friday (we work for the same company). I wasn't expecting much more than a father/daughter lunch, but several of his co-workers stopped in and we spent a really nice hour laughing and telling stories and picking on each other, and especially on my dad. He is the youngest 50 year old I know, and I love him so very much.

I spent Saturday with this blue-eyed guy, hiking at Rickett's Glen, which is this breathtakingly gorgeous state park with over 22 waterfalls, 19 of which we got to see. We hiked the 7.2 mile loop, which isn't nearly as difficult as was described to us, but was mostly uphill. There is supposed to be a pretty sizeable population of black bear in that certain area, but thankfully they stayed to themselves on Saturday.



After we got home we spent hours on the couch watching really stupid B movies (think Swamp Shark and Megashark vs. Crocosaurus) and laughing hysterically. I think I like him a little more than I was planning on.

Sunday turned out to be one of those days where you don't plan anything, but the best things just kind of happen. I skipped church, slept in, and then spent a couple hours out in the sun, reading Love Wins by Rob Bell. If you haven't read it yet, I would definitely suggest reading it. It's currently taking the world of Christianity by storm, so of course I had to pick it up. I may not agree with all the conclusions that it comes to, but it makes me think ... and after all, isn't that the point? We're never going to understand God, but he wants us to keep searching for Him and challenging ourselves. It's a beautiful process.

The rest of the day I spent with my family ... and we actually all got along (if you knew my family, you would understand that this is a minor sort of miracle). I'm so grateful that we could have a good day together before I head back to school next weekend.

Oh yeah, and I got a refund check in the mail from my school! I am very aware that it will all be sucked by up by them very quickly, but for now? It's a good start to the week.

Happy Monday!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...