July 27, 2012

big storms coming

via


So I was supposed to hiking with my hiking friend Chels yesterday, but then one of the kids that she works with had a temper tantrum and pulled a chair down on her foot, and she had to go for an x-ray instead.

Which sucked, but it was okay because then I had time to go to the store and make myself food that didn't come out of a box because I've been so healthy like that lately.

And then when I was driving home, the sky was getting kind of dark so I texted A: "Big storms coming!" (at a stop sign, yes I know not to text and drive)

And about 30 seconds after that, the sky went black. And there was wind and lightning and rain coming in my windows before I had time to put them up, and about 30 seconds later it was like I was driving into a wall of water. What should have been a 15 minute ride home took over half an hour, with lightning crashing and tree branches falling around me.

But I didn't mind. It was just me and the car and the storm. And despite the loudness ... peace.

I like storms. I like the power of them and the perspective they bring, and that they take me out of myself enough to realize how very very small we are ... and how that's the way God intended it to be.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...