October 16, 2012

good news, bad news, and a post mostly about my teeth

The good: I'm wearing my salmon pants today. Any day with salmon pants is good, in my book. They make me feel fashionably fantastic. 

The bad: I suck at vlogs. Maybe you're supposed to have an agenda when you do those things. And a better camera. And not twitch so much? Most of you look so cool when you do them. Whatever, it is what it is. No apologies. And maybe no more vlogs, haha.

And the post mostly about my teeth:

So my gums have been hurting for a couple days now. It started over the weekend while A was here and got really bad yesterday. Like, couldn't close my mouth all the way because of the little demon back by my molar kind of bad. And I mean, let's be honest - I'm usually talking or eating something anyway so my mouth is rarely closed, but sometimes you just gotta let it rest. Couldn't do that. 

Being at work and having internet access is a great thing. I did some casual Googling and within 5 minutes, WebMD had me convinced that I had a serious case of gingivitis or oral cancer. My death was clearly imminent. I calmly texted A, something along the lines of

"Soooo remember how my gum was hurting yesterday? It's really bad now :/ IT'S PROBABLY CANCER AND I'M GOING TO DIEEEE"

Or something along those lines. Calmly. Not dramatic at all. 

And within 5 minutes he was drilling me via text and sending me websites and yelling at me for not flossing enough (I know, I know - it's gross and I should. Would it be even grosser if I admitted that I didn't even own floss until last night? Yup, probably). He is a keeper, I'm pretty sure. 

In a panic, I called a new dentist right by my apartment, telling them that I was probably dying of some god-awful never seen before kind of gum viral fungal infection and who knows what else, and Mary the nice reception lady scheduled me right in at 7:15 this morning. 

7:15. What kind of dentist is open at 7:15 in the morning??? The busy kind, that's who.

I was a good girl. I bought floss and used it. I brushed well. I gargled salt water religiously all night. AND I was early to my appointment. Which was pretty grown up of me, if I say so myself. 

They took me right back to the creepy little dentist chair room and plopped me down, asked me what I was there for, the dentist gave me a good firm handshake (always a good sign), and started scraping away at my gums. 

"Hmmmm ..." He said. 
"Huhwah?" I answered.
"Well, it's certainly inflamed," he replied. 
Duh, I thought.
Scrape. Scrape. Scccrapppeeee. 
Ow. Ow. 
"Well, there's nothing there!" He announced it sort of grandly and yet perfunctorily at the same time. It was weird.
"There's nothing?" Confusion.
"Nope. Maybe you had something stuck there but it's gone. Keep rinsing with salt water and it should be fine."

And before I knew it I was out of there, without having to pay a cent (although it makes sense, really, since he didn't do a whole lot), and made it to work early. And my gum feels a billion times better. Did it just need a good scraping? (that almost sounds dirty) Was it the salt water? I'm so confused.

The moral here might be that I'm super dramatic. I feel like maybe I dreamed all this up? But that would be really unfortunate if I were actually dreaming, to have to wake up and live three hours all over again. 

What a weird day this is going to be. 

2 comments:

Christy said...

I recommend the Reach flosser. It's so much easier than cutting off the circulation in your fingers trying to get in the back of you mouth with floss. Plus my teeth are so close together it's almost impossible to do it that way. Seriously though, the Reach flosser changed my life. My gums don't bleed at the dentist anymore and I feel like I even have better breath! And no, I don't work for Reach! haha!

Sarah said...

This has totally happened to me! I literally suffered in pain for a few days and then it dawned on me to floss. Problem solved. Phew!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...