August 20, 2012

alright, so.

Okay, so here's this thing. My little brother goes to his freshman year of college in 3 days.
THREE.
And I'm a mess.

I'm freaking going to miss that kid.
I used to hate him. He used to hate me.
I was 3 when he was born, and when he came home from the hospital I tried to carry him across the street to the barn, like we did with all the baby chicks we raised in our basement until they were big enough to be on their own. I was just trying to help. Honest.
Things were a little, uh, uncomfortable until about 4 or 5 years ago. He bit me as a baby, I dressed him up in girl clothes. He read my diaries, I locked him out of the house. We tried to kill each other on a daily basis.
Mostly we've gotten past that.


More than that, he and I have always been buffers for each other. Like when a parent was mad at one of us, we'd stand up for the other. Never been the kind of people to throw someone else under the bus.

It's stupid because I've already gone to college and "abandoned" him, almost four years ago, and now that it's his turn to go I'm absolutely devastated.
I got weepy in Target for goodness sake, picking out towels with him. Seriously?
I'm not his mother, but I feel like - at least in our case - we're closer as siblings.

Who else can get away with telling me that I look like "a balding Gene Simmons" first thing in the morning? Nobody, that's who.




All those gross freshman girls (you know they exist) better stay away from my brother if they know what's good for them. I may be ancient in your eyes, little girl, but I can still kick your butt.

4 comments:

Jordan said...

If I didn't know any better, I'd think I wrote this a year ago. My brother and I are also three years apart and this year, he will be leaving for his sophomore year. Last year, after helping him move into his dorm, I kept teasing my mom saying she was going to cry, etc. Guess who ended up needing the tissues..? I will say though, after having him home this summer, I am actually excited for him to go BACK to school! Haha. But that first year was rough. Wishing you the best, it gets better I promise!

Amy said...

My brother just moved in this past weekend! Isn't it crazy that they're going to college?! Whaaat? When did that happen? I'm so excited for my brother, but I agree. The dirty college biotches better stay away from him. The sweet and innocent ones? Those are the ones that'll find a keeper in him.

Hope you enjoy your time with your baby bro before he moves!

Brie Bemis @ Sophistifunk said...

i totally know the feeling! i was a huge mess when my sister went halfway across the country for college but the time apart just made as closer :)
p.s. i'm your newest follower :)

xo brie
www.sophistifunkblog.com

Erin said...

Haha aww this is so cute. I have a little brother too. I call him Lil Broski. He wouldn't stay in the lines when we colored and he was way cooler than me back in the day but now I love that little brat.

Carrying him across the street like a baby chick because you were only trying to help. Oh my word I'm dying.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...