March 25, 2012

Choreography

My sisters and I (7th from the left)


My school has a tradition - every spring for the past 29 years, they hold a contest called Airband, where different groups create dances which are then judged in categories: most creative, best costumes, best choreography, best overall, etc.

Over spring break, one of my sisters roped me into joining our sorority's act, which was a Charlie's Angels spin-off. Three angels, bad guys, policemen, a party scene - we had it all. Being a part of the creative process and the physical act of dancing and having so much fun with my sisters, although time consuming, was one the best experiences I've had this semester. We've been practicing pretty much every night for the last two weeks, and last night our hard work paid off!

Waiting to go onstage, being behind the was terrifying. The audience looked huge and the room cavernous. We hadn't anticipated so many people. Everyone was looking pale and complaining of nausea, including myself. I used to take dance lessons, but I haven't been on stage in a long time, so my nerves were fully engaged, every single one of them.  By the time we finished our dance party segment, I realized that my knees were shaking, and I had stopped breathing almost entirely. It felt amazing.

When it was time for the awards to be announced, all of us leaned forward, scarcely breathing in anticipation. Most creative, best costume: both went to other groups. Then the MC announced it: "best choreography goes to ... Tri Sigma!"

 We screamed so loudly, the auditorium was reverberating. Second place! 

Our elation was huge. 


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...